Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Hunt Continues

First things first: I didn't realize how draining it could be to look at property. I remember friends of mine on the hunt talking about how tired they were, how frenetic their schedules were, and I didn't understand. It's just time management, right? And you can always say no.

Well, maybe.

First, their are missed appointments and last minute rescheduling. Factor in the time for travel, and viewing a single property can easily consume two hours of your day.

Second, realty operates on its own schedule. I have yet to see a property on a Saturday. Realtors who multiple properties so they can't always show the one you want when you can see it.

Finally, you could just have a stupid moment and write down the wrong address one day, showing up at Overlook Terrace instead of Terrace East, all the while walking around in the hot July sun wondering where this &%!@ building is.

I've certainly seen some creative apartments.

There was the place in Washington Heights chock full of beautiful Queen Anne-inspired furniture. The ceilings were high, and there was a huge closet. That said, it seemed small, partly on account of the furniture. While I like pre-war buildings, I'm not sure I want to live somewhere where I need extended-reach shelf tools to open cabinets. The Pullman kitchen was also interesting. not sure I like having a kitchen open to the living room, spraying grease on my TV.

There was a heavily renovated 4th floor walkup on Fourth Avenue in Brooklyn. I liked that one, but not sure I want to walk up and down that many stairs.

That said, the one apartment I am centering on - oddly, the first one I looked at - is near a subway station so deep underground that escalators are provided for the trip up. To head down, you take about 5 flights of 15 stairs apiece just to get to the landing to choose either uptown or downtown tracks. Then it's another two flights. Also, the entrance to the building has an offramp from the GWB in front. You don't notice once you're inside.

There was a nice little place I saw in Inwood. A studio, and bigger than I thought, but it would need extensive remodeling to make it work the way I would want.

And so the search continues.

No comments: