Sunday, May 1, 2011

Automation

So the automate ad targeting bothers me. For example, earlier on Facebook I posted something about seeing a man air-rum to a Phil Collins song.

Sure enough, as soon as I had posted, Facebook recommended pages for Phil Collins and Air-drumming.

I thought this was funny so I posted something about Facebook being funny.

Sure enough, Facebook recommended Facebook.

Hands down the best example is targeted advertising. For example, on a lark, I looked up air fares from New York to Ulan Baator, the capital of Mongolia.

Sure enough, for a couple of days I saw ads everywhere I went online for "low fares to Ulan Baator".

What's sad is they don't know when the ads work. I started looking into Zipcar. Sure enough, ads followed. I signed up for Zipcar. I even rented cars and drove them on more than one occasion.

Sadly, I still seed Zipcar ads.

No comments: