Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mung Beans

I've returned to mung beans. No photos yet; you'll remember these: small green beans when dry, they almost double in size when soaked. They have an earthy flavor, grittier than black beans but not grstly. I made them before, and they were delicious.

These were coked with a little ginger and cumin. I'm embarrassed to say, my root vegetables and INdian spices are lacking.

Well, this time around I made a little too much, and realize I wasn't going to have enough vindaloo sauce to stir chicken with. So, I tried substituting them for beans with chicken burritos. They worked! Not great, but decent. SO, instead of chicken in a vindaloo sauce with mung and rice, I had chicken rubbed with chili peper, salsa, mung beans, and cheese.

Sharp cheddar doesn't like mung beans. If I were to do it again I might try something softer and milder, Monterey Jack maybe, or a white colby.

Paled with an India Pale Ale, of course!

No comments: