Saturday, April 14, 2012

Community

Earlier today I was listening to a podcast that, among other things, featured a researcher who said that joining a single group lowers your risk of death within twelve months as much as quitting smoking does. Another point made was that people do not intermingle outside their groups as much these days - race, class, gender, education, and so on. I'm not sure that's totally true, but I do buy the point that being familiar with people who are unlike you is more valuable than being around people who are like you.

I spent the day riding my bike and cleaning up my kayak. I waited around to meet some of my kayaking friends, among whom is a woman who recently lost her husband to cancer.

The club has been good for her. a handful of people in particular have kept in touch with her and provided. We got to talking, and it's clear it's still hard for her. As we come into the season though, we're all planning to do lots of trips, and I'm glad we're here, in our collective activity, to support each other.

No comments: