As rough as the first day of diving was, it would have been hard to have a difficult second day. Fortunately, conditions improved.
Unfortunately - for me, at least, and my buddy - my dive computer got stuck in a free dive mode. I was double-checking its other settings, and somehow got into free dive. I got it out of that move - or so I thought - but by the time I was at 16 feet of depth, it was clearly indicating that I was free-diving; that is, diving without scuba gear. I motioned to my buddy to go up, and we did.
This was frustrating for a couple of reasons. First, I was diving Nitrox for the first time, and already nervous about that - I spent an inordinate amount of time double-checking the computer to make sure it was set up for Nitrox, and in so doing made an error that put it in a completely different mode. Second, this dive was the group deep dive to 100 feet, to ensure no one got narc'd - suffered from nitrogen narcosis.
Later, we learned that our guide had motioned for us to dive off my buddy's computer, but we mis-read his signals as telling us to go up as buddies. I think that what happened was that after I set the computer to dive mode, I held the buttons to back out of that screen too long and it cycled to free dive, and happened to be there when I hit the water.
In any case, it wasn't anything that ten minutes of cursing and alone time couldn't heal. The captain radioed the shop manager, who came out on our next dive and took my buddy and I to 120 feet, which we did without incident (and without Nitrox - I saved those cans for the next day). I'm very grateful for that.
This second dive - my first, the group's second - was very rewarding. The guides served up chum to attract nurse sharks and rays. As the three of us dove deeper, we wound our way down through canyons, and then on around, gradually making our way back up. We spotted a ray circling overhead, and a turtle swimming towards us, escaping the others. Finally, we were seeing wildlife. Even during my safety stop, I saw a turtle land on a ledge below me, and his camouflage kept him well hidden. Keeping track of him became my game for passing the time at the safety stop.
After the morning dives, a small group of us opted for an afternoon dive, heading out to Hol Chan Marine Reserve. We dived shallow, no more than 30 feet, but saw plenty of fish, some rays, and coral. It was a great dive that made up for missing the first morning dive. Afterwards, we went to Shark Ray Alley, where our guide once again chummed up the water, and we snorkeled with nurse sharks, jack fish, and rays. It was beautiful.
As it happened, that night was scheduled for the optional night dive, so I got that in as well. After returning to shore to rest and get some food, we went out in the evening and were in the water at night. Using our flashlights, we cruised along at shallow depths. There was strong current to fight as we entered the water, but once away from the boat and at depth, we were in a small valley that was out of the current. We say sleeping rays, some parrot fish, and an octopus or two. There was a moray eel, but I missed him.
This was my busiest day. I had three dives, a snorkel, and I at least got in the water for another dive. In a way, it was good to have a little frustration with my computer, and even more so on what was a less consequential dive. I figured out what I got wrong, and was much better prepared for the dives to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment