Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tilapia 'n Bass

Tonight's experiment: Tilapia seasoned with lemon juice, pepper, and basil, broiled; fingerling potatoes prepared in a buttered skillet; wilted spinach with a dash of vinegar, served with a bottle of Bass ale.

I give myself a B.

The fish turned out great. I'm always a little nervous about broiling or baking fish, as I often overcook it. One bite and it was good, several more and I knew I nailed it. I had just the right amount of seasoning and time in broiler to get some real flavor but still have some juicy fish filet. I only wish I'd been taking better notes so as to reproduce this feat in the future.

The potatoes were OK. I'm not totally certain about the quality of the potatoes, as some of them had some scar tissue (or whatever it is that makes them look rough). I cooked them in butter over a low heat for 20-25 minutes, but they were still pretty stiff to bite into, not soft as I expected. That said, they did retain the butter flavor, and were chewable. I was just expecting soft, mushy potatoes, and maybe that wasn't the right expectation to have.

The spinach was OK. Wilting the spinach wasn't hard, but I tend to underestimate how much it will wilt - I wish I'd had more spinach. This was fresh spinach from the farmer's market yesterday. I think I had the right amount of red wine vinegar thrown in for flavor, but insufficiently tossed; some bites had lots of vinegar, others, hardly any at all.

The Bass worked out well, and I am taking to Bass as my beer of choice for dinner over some of the Sam Adams and Harpoons I've tied. Especially the Harpoons. Their summer ale just isn't wow-ing me this year.




No comments: